Monday, July 27, 2009

Family Reunion

Kevin's Aunt Pat is also known as Sister Pat (that means she is a nun for the non-Catholics)and just celebrated her 50th Jubilee (50 years as a nun). Kevin's parents thought the ocassion would be a good reason for the entire Simpson clan to gather for a family reunion. Since the jubilee would be in San Rafael, Kevin's parents booked an entire house that is part of the Marin Headlands Hostel. I have never stayed in a hostel before (I wasn't really the backpack around Europe kind in my younger years) so I wasn't sure what to expect. But, it was actually really nice and perfect for a family reunion (well, for a small family...the Allen clan would have needed all the buildings in the hostel). It was essentially a big house with several bedrooms (all with bunk beds) and a few bathrooms. Kevin's mom did a great job planning meals to feed a big crowd and it was a nice opportunity for me to get to know his extended family. It was also a beautiful setting, I have never been to the Marin headlands...you go over the Golden Gate bridge and turn left. My earthquake phobia (I tried to find a fun word that means fear of earthquakes but the closest I could find is Cymophobia which is a fear of wave-like motions...however, in my search I found out that arachibutyrophobia is a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth!) flared up when we had to drive through a one lane tunnel, but I survived. The headlands are beautiful, and extremely foggy, and full of wildlife...we saw deer, bunnies, horses, and heard coyotes. Of course the main attraction of the whole weekend was Joey :)

Saturday was Aunt Pat's jubilee, it was at a beautiful Catholic church next to the San Rafael mission, and the mass was celebrated by the Bishop of Stockton. Joey did so well during Mass, he had a bottle right before it started then quickly fell asleep and stayed asleep during the entire thing. Kevin brought him up for communion and Joey was blessed by the Bishop which was very special. After the mass, we headed over to the convent for a reception. We have had a lot of Nuns praying for us since we started the road of adoption, and they were so excited to actually meet the little man they have been praying for. Everywhere we went a different nun would ask "how old is the baby?" "what's his name?" "OHHH, is this Pat's Joseph???" it was so sweet.

We left early Sunday and had to head down to Santa Cruz to pick up Toughy, so it was a long weekend but both our parents got some Joey loving time so everyone was happy :)

So happy to finally meet Aunt Pat
Photobucket
Joey's outfit for the jubilee...his first time wearing shoes, I think that is why he looks so excited ;)
Photobucket
looking a little milk drunk after his bottle in church, this picture makes me laugh
Photobucket
passed out on daddy during mass
Photobucket
outside of the church
Photobucket
He was so deep asleep, I had to take a picture of him still passed out in the carseat
Photobucket
Family picture at the convent...this is really vain of me but I was having a fantastic hair day!
Photobucket
Nice picture of Joey and mommy...but I have David Letterman's voice saying "what about THAT guy" in my head ;)
Photobucket
Joey with Daddy and Grandma
Photobucket
The look on Joey's face cracks me up, he is looking at me saying "mommy, what is daddy doing, aren't you going to do something about this?"
Photobucket

Holy Fog Batman!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Joey and daddy sleeping in the bunk bed
Photobucket
We took a walk in the headlands and it was cold and windy, Kevin is letting you know that Joey is there he is just snug in the moby wrap and under my sweatshirt :)
Photobucket
We needed to demonstrate just how cccccooollddd it was
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is the house we stayed at (Kevin is once again pointing out Joey is with us)
Photobucket
Kevin multi-tasking during our game of phase10
Photobucket
Photobucket

Bonus pictures, this was how Joey took his nap this afternoon...of course I was completely paranoid this would be the day he suddenly decided to start rolling so what you don't see in the picture is the mound of pillows on the floor below the couch...just in case!
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Leslie.. you make me laugh! I love your photos and captions! M

    ReplyDelete