Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ah-goos and allergies

This week started off with a picnic, ended with a lazy day and was sprinkled with an ER visit...so it was kind of eventful!
I'll start with the ER visit, since I don't want to leave anyone in suspense...On Thursday, I took Joey and Toughy for a walk. I decided to put Joey in our new Babyhawk carrier (which I had not washed yet but didn't think much of that), which he fell asleep in about a block from the house. Thirty minutes later, we arrived back home, Joey was still sleeping so I transferred him to the crib and grabbed myself a quick shower. After my shower, I checked on Joey, he was awake and smiling. We went straight to the changing table for a diaper change, then I noticed his face was red and bumpy which caused me concern. THEN, I looked at his right ear which had doubled in size, was bright red and hot to the touch (insert my look of horror here). I immediately called Kaiser to see if I could bring him in ASAP, but the advise nurse said to go straight to the ER! Ok, ok, I breathe, quickly put clothes on both of us and get into the car. I take a quick pic of his ear just in case we need to see if it is getting bigger at some point (thankfully it didn't). I call Kevin, tell him "don't freak out, but can you meet us at the ER?" He did a good job not freaking out ;) and he met us at the hospital. Babies are better than chest pain, we were seen immediately! By this time the redness was gone from his face (phew!) but his left ear is now red and hot (ack!). Joey is such a trouper, he is just smiling and cooing, doesn't even notice his hot, swollen ear. We finally see the doctor and he agrees it was something on the new carrier (Murphy's law: the ONE time I don't pre-wash something!) that caused an allergic reaction. He orders up some benadryl (which Joey did not like and promptly spit back out of his mouth) and sends us home. It was cute when the doctor was talking to us, Joey kept smiling and cooing at him, which completely distracted the doctor ;) So, Joey is fine, still a little residual rash on his cheek but otherwise back to normal and I will NEVER not pre-wash again!!

Oy, that was a novel...so, on to the cute stuff. Joey is just "talking" up a storm lately and is fascinated with his tongue now. He says "ahhh-gooooo" followed by a raspberry, and we respond with ah-goo back which he thinks is so funny. He has also started making a funny face where he purses his lips and furrows his brow, then waits for you to laugh which causes him to smile :) Since I have talked so much already, I will just let the pictures talk, then I will do another post with some video :D

At my PEO picnic last Saturday, it was hot so Joey enjoyed some diaper-only time in the shade
Photobucket
laying down family self-portrait
Photobucket
Photobucket
whenever he lies between us, he always has to touch us both at the same time :)
Photobucket
Toughy was there too ;)
Photobucket
We had a good time (you can see how Joey's hair is growing in one dark patch like a mohawk)
Photobucket

Joey asleep in the Emergency room, he was such a trouper
Photobucket

His "I'm gonna punch ya" sleeping pose
Photobucket
He decided the video camera was better served as a toy
Photobucket
The glassy-eyed look as he is about to fall asleep...notice how he is holding on to Kevin's shirt
Photobucket
Photobucket
Showing off his big boy skills
Photobucket
Toughy decided he wanted some attention too
Photobucket
Photobucket
Joey thinks Toughy is funny
Photobucket
Hanging out with Daddy
Photobucket
Photobucket
And taking a nap with Daddy
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment