Where my parents live in Santa Cruz is a great little neighborhood that is very popular with surfers (cool fact, because of the layout of the bay, when you look down the street at the water from my parent's house you are actually looking south not west). But, I am not a surfer, my favorite time at the beach is when the tide is so low it is actually negative (we call them "minus tides" in my family). The tides pull back so far that the rocks are exposed creating tide pools fool of sea anenomes, star fish, crabs, etc. I looked in the paper Sunday night and saw that a -1.7 would be peaking at 5:50 am on Monday so my mom and I decided to get up at 6am and take the dog down. I am so glad we did, we had the beach all to ourselves for almost an hour which gave Toughy free reign to play ball and chase seagulls while we looked for shells. Here are a few pictures from our morning at the beach...

my mom looking for shells

Sea anenomes under the water

a field of anenomes

Toughy patiently waiting for me to throw the ball

this gives you an idea of how much rock was exposed

In the afternoon we took both my grandmother's to the cemetary to see my Grandfather's flag along the avenue of the flags and to visit both grandfather's graves (I am so glad we were able to truly observe memorial day).

No comments:
Post a Comment